Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cambodia Bound

Tomorrow morning, at 6:45 am, we fly off to a week in Cambodia for reading break. We're flying into Phnom Phen, and out of Siem Reap, getting back to Singapore on Sunday, March 1st. We're going to see a lot of really interesting things on this trip, like the killing fields, Angkor Wat, etc.

I think that this trip is going to be pretty intense. By intense I mean interesting, heartbreaking, and culture-shocking. I heard there is a lot of poverty, with many people just sleeping on the streets in Phnom Phen. Apparently it's far worse than any poverty we saw in Vietnam.....and there was quite a bit in Ho Chi Minh City.

I'm a little nervous about seeing the Cambodia Killing Fields. I have heard that from a culture and educational stand-point, it's a must see, since it is such a big part of Cambodia's history, however, I know it will be hard to see a place where so many innocent people lost their lives at the hands of monsters.

I am really looking forward to seeing Angkor Wat, as I've heard from so many other travellers that it is a "must see".

What I'm not looking forward to is getting up at 3:30am tomorrow morning to go to the airport.....gonna be a tough one.

No comments:

Post a Comment